|This page represents a semantic annotation that has been deprecated and that should no longer be used. Reasons should be given below (if not obvious). You can help by replacing this annotation on all pages with the recommended alternative, if that is specified below.|
Note: Instance-of-relations are specified by the MediaWiki category system. See Property:Is a for more discussion and do not use this annotation to workaround the faster, more powerful, and better supported category system. Send me an email if you think this needs discussion. --Markus Krötzsch 20:04, 30 October 2006 (CET)
The distinction with Property:Subclass of is clear for concrete things, such as people, animals, vehicles, etc., and also for organisations, countries, events, currencies.
- associated with an instance of species is a class of individual animals or plants
- associated with an instance of wiki engine is a class of copies of the wiki engine, and correspondingly a class of wikis
- associated with an instance of chemical element is a class of isotopes
- associated with an instance of isotope is a class of individual atoms
- the word "film" is usually distinguished from "film copy", a film is associated with a class of copies of the film
- depending on context an instance of flag is e.g. the Union Jack, or an example of it
- depending on context an instance of newspaper is e.g. the New York Times, or an edition of it, or a copy
- depending on context Pathé Unlimited Card (PUC) can mean an instance of the class of card systems or an instance of the class of individual cards of this system ("I lost my Pathé Unlimited Card"). The card system can be identified with the class of individual cards. If "movie theater pass" means a class of individual cards, the class of PUCs is a subclass of it, if it means a class of systems, the PUC system is an instance of it.
See also the deprecated Property:Is an instance of, still used for some universities.
<ask sort="instance of" limit=1000>
Pages using the property "Instance of"
Showing 15 pages using this property.(previous 25) (next 25)previous 25) (next 25)