Centiare is a unique online directory that anyone can use. The directory facilitates [http://www.centiare.com/Centiare:SEO search engine optimization] (SEO) in new and powerful ways. You can set up your very own Directory page about yourself or your business, and no other users can edit it. That's how the Directory pages work -- if you create it, you own it. Within these "user-owned" commercial, non-profit, government, personal, and property Directory listings, you're encouraged to express advocate points-of-view (APOV); include links to your products, artwork, blogs, or books you've written; and create wiki-links to any other pages in Centiare that you find interesting.
 What makes Centiare different?
Centiare is powered by the same collaboration and editing software used by Wikipedia, but taken to the next level. With the addition of custom extensions that enhance its core functionality, you can do things on Centiare that just aren't possible (or welcome) on Wikipedia or other wiki sites. Things like:
- Monetize your Directory listing and/or Main page article
- Plug in YouTube videos within a page (example)
- Promote your resume, an auction, your products, whatever!
- List your "friends" within Centiare (example)
- Upload not only pictures, but also documents, spreadsheets, PDF files, and more
- Perform multi-level searches for specific things, like:
- -- White male, over 6 feet, with a Masters degree, in Pennsylvania
- -- Home heating oil company, at least 50 years in business, in New Jersey
- -- Entities between the 39th and 40th parallels (example)
Meanwhile, for topics that would not have any legal standing in a courtroom (i.e., things like rainfall, fiber optic cable, the Rocky Mountains, glue, surfing), Centiare has the familiar Main page article space. Articles in Main space should be written with a neutral point-of-view (NPOV), and they may be edited by any user (nobody has "ownership" of Main space articles).
 Directory Listings
Centiare's custom extensions and modifications bring the power of the MediaWiki program to users who wish to create and control their own Directory articles/pages. Within protected Directory listings, users are free to advocate, advertise and promote individual and/or commerical/non-profit acitivities without interference from other users/editors. Just be the first user to start an appropriate Directory topic (must be something that has standing in a court of law), and from that point on, you're the only user who will have access to edit that page and all its sub-pages.
 Semantic Tagging
Centiare's custom extensions and modifications enable cross-referenced relationships and attributes to be generated automatically. Simply by using semantic tags in an accompanying Infobox or throughout a page article, Directory pages and portal listings can produce general/customized reports to help potential customers find the information they need relevant to your company and/or service offerings.
 User Registration
Only registered users are allowed to create and/or edit any content on Centiare (including Main page entries). As such, registered users enjoy two primary benefits:
- They can create their own Directory or User page listings in order to promote, market, or otherwise advocate commercial activities; and
- They can create custom queries (i.e. by editing a page) and generate reports covering listings, friends, interests, etc., based on their own specified needs.
If you're not yet a registered user, you can register right now.
 Additional Reading
- Read a 3-page presentation by marketing research guru Gregory Kohs about Centiare and the semantic web (requires PowerPoint).
- You can read the various reviews that independent critics have written about Centiare. Here are the most recent ones:
- --Semantic web expert, Harry Chen, covers Centiare with "MediaWiki Opens for Business".
- --IdeaGrove was the very first blog to profile Centiare, with a story entitled "Move Over Yellow Pages".
 Further Information
- Centiare.com Home page