The SPARQL2XQuery Framework : Bridging the Gap between the XML and the Semantic Web Worlds
The SPARQL2XQuery Framework bridges the gap and creates an interoperable environment between the Web of Linked Data (OWL/RDF/SPARQL) and the XML (XML Schema/XML/XQuery) worlds.
Using the SPARQL2XQuery Framework, XML datasets can be turned into SPARQL endpoints. The SPARQL2XQuery Framework provides a generic method for SPARQL to XQuery translation, with respect to a set of predefined mappings between ontologies and XML Schemas.
Particularly, the SPARQL2XQuery Framework provides mechanisms for: (a) Query translation (SPARQL to XQuery) (b) Mapping specification & generation (Ontology to XML Schema)and (c) Schema transformation(XML Schema to OWL).
This SPARQL2XQuery Framework is an essential component in the Web of Linked Data that allows setting SPARQL endpoints over the existing XML data, as well as a fundamental part of ontology-based integration frameworks involving XML data sources.
- Schema Transformation. XML Schema to OWL by using the XS2OWL framework.
- Mapping Generation. The mappings between the XML Schemas and their OWL representations can be automatically detected and stored as XML documents.
- Mappings Specification. Mappings between OWL-RDF/S ontologies and XML Schemas can be manually specified and used in the SPARQL to XQuery translation.
- Query Translation. SPARQL to XQuery Translation: Every SPARQL query that is posed over ontologies (RDF/S - OWL), is translated into an XQuery query that can be answered from the XML data.
- Query Results Transformation. The query results are transformed in the preferred SPARQL Query Result XML Format or in RDF format.
- XML - RDF Transformation.Transformation of XML data in RDF syntax and vice versa.
- SPARQL-RW : Ontology Mapping and SPARQL Query Rewriting.
- XS2OWL : Transform XML Schema into OWL otnologies.